Saturday, June 4, 2011

How do I open a wide ceiling light fixture to change the lightbulb?

The lamp I have is similar to this one: http://www.lampsplus.com/Products/Ceilin鈥?/a>





The only difference is that mine is shaped kind of like an octagon instead of a circle, so when I tried to open it by twisting it, it would only move back and forth about half an inch but wouldn%26#039;t twist open. I also tried pulling on it and twisting the piece of metal in the center, but nothing has worked. The lightbulb has been out for a few days, but I have no clue how to open this lamp so that I could put in a new lightbulb. Also, I%26#039;m scared to get electricuted....as long as the power is off it is safe to change the lightbulb, right? I%26#039;d really appreciate some advice.|||Turn the finial, thats the pointy thing at the bottom. That holds


everything together. The glass will drop and you are good to go. Be careful!|||1. You%26#039;re not using enough force on the finial (the knob at the bottom).





2. As long as the switch is off you%26#039;re OK.