Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Should I change my lightbulb or dimmer switch?

My dining area light is on a dimmer (basic slide dimmer). The dimmer doesn't go from dark to light, it flickers as I slide it. It's really irritating b/c I have to slowly manipulate the switch until it gets to a spot that's %26quot;on%26quot;.
Should I change my lightbulb or dimmer switch?
The dimmer is defective. Get it replaced before it shorts out on you. You don't want it to be sparking inside the receptacle box.
Should I change my lightbulb or dimmer switch?
From your description, it sounds like the dimmer switch is shot. Replace it with a new one.
Never heard of that before...I'd go for the new switch.
Dimmer switch.



You could take it apart if you are handy and clean it. Sounds like a solid connection is not being made and crud can cause that.
A dining area is an ideal spot for a dimmer, and I use my slider type no problem, all the time. Did yours ever work right? It sounds like you may have an old one or one that is shorting out. It could even be a loose wire. If you don't have the know-how, get an electrician or someone familiar with wiring to look at it. If it still does it, get a new one, and you'll be glad you did. Dimmers save money and make for a nice peaceful dinner when the lights can be turned low. It is important to be in a soothing eating situation, especially after a hectic work day. It's better for the digestion, too, to set a nice mood for dinner. It's worth the trouble to have a properly installed dimmer.
My guess is the bulb that in your light is not designed for use with a dimmer switch. It's designed for on or off only. It flickers b/c there's not enough current to get it to turn on fully. If it's cheaper, try first changing your bulb, maybe someone at the hardware store can tell you which bulbs will work and which won't with dimmers.
check and see what kind of bulb is in the light. Compact fluorescent bulbs are becoming very common but they don't work with dimmers at all. There are a few types that say they dim but they are temperamental. Also if you have changed the light fixture recently it may be the cause. Some light fixtures have transformers or ballasts that will not work with dimmers. hope this helps.